Paul provides a broad range of domestic and international legal and business advice to his clients, with a focus on the establishment, financing, acquisition, governance, succession and disposition of joint ventures, partnerships, corporations, and limited liability and flow-through entities. He has been professionally involved in creating workable and efficient international structures for clients in a variety of foreign jurisdictions in North America, the United Kingdom, the European Union and Asia, as well as various jurisdictions in Central and South America, the Caribbean and Africa.
Paul also has an active domestic and international trusts and estates practice that includes the representation of individuals, families, and charitable organizations, both in Canada and abroad. A substantial focus of his practice is the provision of advice to private clients, including the owners /managers of businesses, family corporations and individuals and clients with international holdings. He has assisted in trusts utilized to split the taxation of income both before and after death, asset protection trusts, offshore business and personal trusts, trusts for those requiring special care, trusts with charitable purposes and trusts for business succession planning purposes.
The University of Hull, Kingston upon Hull, England, U.K. (LL.B., with honours, 1986)
The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (J.D., 1989)
Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, Program of Instruction for Lawyers (Taxation of American Corporate Enterprises and International Trade Law: Diploma, 1995)
The Law Society of British Columbia
The Canadian Bar Association
The American Bar Association
The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Dr. Michael Smith Science Fair Endowment – Director and Legal Counsel – May, 2015 to September, 2017
- British Columbia Liberal Party – Vancouver-Quilchena Riding Association President – September 2013 through November 2015
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help School – President Parent Support Group – September, 2010 through June 2015
- Ascenta Foundation for Health and Education Outreach – Director – May 1, 2008 through January 2016
- Vancouver Civic Non-Partisan Association (NPA) – Director – May, 2003 through January, 2007
- University Court of The University of Hull (England, United Kingdom) – Member of Court – April, 2000 through July 2015